Thursday, March 4, 2010

P.O.D.

Post Olympic Depression


Sounds familiar to you? I'm sure from everybody who was in Vancouver to work for the Games are in on it. It's probably even worse living in Vancouver and feeling it. Even people across the country are probably feeling it.



I'm used to it - Everytime I finish one of my academic competitions, I have that post 'Jeux du Commerce' Depression that students across Québec feel as well - it's a competition that you prepare for almost a year beforehand and it's done, Poof!, within 4 days. And I've been going through that three times a year with Happening Marketing and HR Symposium throughout the year. Olympics, I've applied about 2 years ago, and after 3 weeks and a half, Poof!, it's gone. And it won't come back. As for JDC, I will be participating again next year, where they will be held in Ottawa. Heck, I even have Happening Marketing coming up at the end of March to look forward to - making this Post-Olympics depression easier on me, I believe.

I haven't been able to go back to work yet - Tomorrow is the big day. I'm seriously scared of going back, thinking I may have lost knowledge with my month of thinking only of which section the bathrooms are located, where the smoking section is (Gate 3 - Section 109), infobooth (Section 311 and 114), where the ATM is (Section 116), where the elevators are (you can't go to the north ones in Section 308, but you must go to the ones at 319), Which sections you can't access and have to do the loop (Sorry, sections 105 to 101, sucks to be you, you can proceed to bitch at me now), how to get to Beatie street, Georgia, Granville and where the Olympic superstore is, how to access the SkyTrain the fastest from the arena and lastly hear compliments about my eyes pretty much constantly - which was nice from all the repetitive questions. But, I unfortunately will not be getting anymore questions about the Sections, or any compliments, but more about ''Gen, can you do this T1 for me before the end of the day? Thanks'' and me calling the government ''Hi, I need information about a client of ours, I'm calling from BDO Canada and my name is Genevieve, and the client's SIN # is _ _ _  _ _ _  _ _ _''. Although, don't get me wrong, I do love my job and the people! : )

So yes, I would take knowing a few sections by heart over doing 1o personal tax returns in a day, or even a gigantic one within 4 days (Thanks, person who put all their year's receipt in a shoe-box, you really thought you were getting away with it!)

But that's the reality. I'm back in Ottawa. I'm on my couch. About to go downtown with my blue coat (Yeah, kind of excites me) but it's the harsh reality of not going out to Granville tonight, or not attending a free concert at Granville Island or LiveCity either, not using my Volunteer accreditation & blue jacket for freeloading off stuff, or passing as a ''staff worker'' to get in somewhere, not singing Oh Canada on the Skytrain, not high-fiving tons of strangers on the street, not being asked questions from strangers about anything and everything in Vancouver when I'm in the streets with the blue jacket, even if I have no idea the answer (I guess I won't worry about that in Ottawa wearing the blue coat), of eating Pizza every second day because you have no car, and honestly, it's the easiest thing to split with your brother, to sit in the volunteer debrief room every morning with tons of strangers but who eventually became familiar faces and even some, very good friends, to go out every night and end up with some friendly strangers after the bar taking part in the most silliest things in the streets - mostly some screaming and cheering for Canada, to have about 15 new contacts in my phone - close to non with a last name and who will remain as those random friends I made in Vancouver, to buy expensive beer in Vancouver - whether it was at the bar (7 - 9$ each) or at the Liquor store (30$ for 12), to watch the fireworks and the fire shows at Robson Square that goes on each night to just working my shifts everyday - making friends with everybody in my section at the Hockey Games and seeing people so excited about hockey and the Olympics, I will really miss it.

And I'm not alone.

Some people are calling it post-podium depression. Which where they write why they think people are having this depression: Why is the sense of loss so profound in Vancouver? I think, in part, it's because the whole thing turned out far better than anyone expected.
Which I think is completely true. I was doubting the whole experience my first week. But now I'm embracing it. I've never seen such patriotism outside of Ottawa on Canada Day ever - and I think it even surpassed it! 


Over here, they mention: You eat dinner with it, you spend the night with it, you fall asleep in front of it. For the better part of a fortnight, you come to count on it, put your trust in it.
This seriously represents what I've been doing the past 3 weeks, when I would get home from volunteering (if that) I would turn on the TV, write my blog, then go to bed, with the TV on sleep for 30 minutes with CTV on. Never did I watch anything else if I had the chance.

And CTV is calling it the post-Olympic blues. Some people comparing it to after Christmas. 


Well, like I said, it can't be that bad. I do have parties lined up with friends this weekend and it'll make me remember why I love them so much and kind of started missing them by the end of my trip. Kinda guys. 


Well, tomorrow I'm going back to work. Wish me luck!


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment